Hamamatsu Castle is a reconstructed hirayama-style Japanese castle. It stands in central Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture. It is also called Shusse (success in life) Castle. It was the seat of various “fudai daimyo” who ruled over Hamamatsu Domain.
The early castle was called Hikuma Castle. In 1568, Tokugawa Ieyasu obtained Hamamatsu. He was the founder and first shogun of the Tokugawa shogunate of Japan. He removed his headquarters from Okazaki Castle to Hamamatsu in 1570. He spent 17 years in Hamamatsu.
Tokugawa Ieyasu renovated and greatly expanded the castle. And he changed the name to Hamamatsu Castle in 1577. He relocated to Sunpu Castle in 1586. After the Battle of Sekigahara, it is followed by a succession of “fudai daimyo” through the remainder of the Edo period.
Hamamatsu Castle Park is surrounding the castle. There are numerous sakura trees. A large bronze statue of Tokugawa Ieyasu also stands in the park.[Information] Hamamatsu Castle
■Closed: Dec 29th, 30th, 31th.
Adult 200 yen.
100-2, Motoshirocho, Naka-ku Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka
about 6 minutes walking from “Shiyakusyo Minami” bus stop.
To “Shiyakusyo Minami” bus stop, you take the bus from terminal ①or⑬ of Hamamatsu Station.